Prosyntix is currently recruiting for a Technical Writer contract role for a financial company based out of Columbia, SC. This role will be able to work remotely but could transition to more on sight eventually. Candidates will need to be comfortable commuting to the office on a regular basis.
The Technical Writer as part of the Office of Data Management will assist with business administration and analyze data processes and procedures in order to understand, document and operationalize new processes, procedures or system changes/code. The Technical Writer will meet with leadership, authors and other team representatives to review documents, compile inputs/corrections, resolve incompatible comments, and provide final publishable documentation. They will edit communications document (e.g. reports, bulletins, PowerPoint briefs), SOPs, white papers, and other technical documents for the functional area. They will organize and prepare information and data for use in a wide variety of complex technical publications. It will be preferable to have in-depth knowledge and understanding of the subject matter and allied fields. Alternatively, it will be important to learn quickly if the Technical Writer does not have the requisite background. The Technical Writer will work with end users or directly review code and specs to gather information and convert it into written technical specifications, narratives and documents. The Technical Writer will bring attention to detail and quality to help maintain consistently high standards for all technical, Metadata, information lifecycle or architectural documents. This position partners with stakeholders and technical system owners to determine and optimize how they collect, store, secure, and curate data to ensure that data is properly managed and provides the business with valuable insights. This position is also responsible for supporting the creation and refining the Data Governance Program standards and processes to promote data accountability, validate compliance, and track data governance effectiveness through scorecards and status reports.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with product managers, product marketing, and engineers to produce and maintain world-class documentation, including: Operational Guides, Risk and Control Manuals, code and platform documentation (stored procedures, embedded logic, hard-coded data and reference data, business lineage documentation)
- Build and maintain metadata management documentation and client aids that support end to end lifecycle documentation and the on-going maintenance and management of the documents and the data assets
- Learn complex concepts and communicate the information in a way that is engaging and understood by users
- Gather customer feedback on documentation to improve usability
- Independently gather information from subject matter experts to develop, organize, and write standards, procedure manuals, technical specifications and technical process documentation.
- Develop content with a consistent and cohesive voice across all documentation
- Partner with Learning and Development to ensure course content accurately represents process and business expectation of how processes and technology should be represented
- Work with development, application, DW and product leads to identify all documentation repositories, revise and edit, as needed for information management and governance and coordinate storage and reviews
- Maintain a comprehensive library of technical terminology and documentation. Help write narratives for and maintain systems maps that represent data flows and integration.
- Partner with business owners of data and other team members of the Office of Data Management to gain business alignment, and promote full engagement and participation in data governance efforts
- Participate in technical and business data process modeling sessions and documentation
- Assist the Enterprise Data Director in driving Office of Data Management initiatives towards implementing data governance
- As a knowledge management specialist ensure all data management artifacts are maintained and requests are monitored and tracked
- Conduct periodic reviews of the artifacts to ensure compliance with the data governance standards and policies
- Participate in a variety of activities related to data governance, data strategy implementation, data modeling, data requirements, risk assessment, identification of data challenges, modeling, data manipulation, and/or requirement elicitation
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Information Technology, or equivalent work experience in a related field
- Strong written and verbal communication, collaboration, and consulting skill.
- Minimum 3 years of business analyst/technical analyst experience that includes experience reading and translating complex technical concepts into consumable written guidance.
- Knowledgeable and experienced with data management processes, metadata management, data stewardship, and data quality
- Understanding of basic database structures and SQL
- Understanding of multiple code bases (java, .NET, python, R, SAS, SQL, salesforce, etc)
- A self-starter with strong analytical skills and attention to detail
- Customer-focused ability to communicate across all levels of the organization
- Possesses effective analytical abilities in order to examine data, data models, business processes, and make recommendations on improvements
- Excellent interpersonal skills, accountability, written and verbal communication skills, and time management
- Ability to work independently